We know if might be tempting for many in these difficult times…. BUT box colour of any kind is NEVER a good idea, AVOID AT ALL COSTS, every stylist comes across box dye disasters and more often than not, they are costly and time consuming to rectify.
Unpredictable Results, Uneven colour, Damaged ends AND believe us – it never looks like it does on the box :- (!
With proper care and good advice, maintaining your hair colour whilst you #stayathome will become second nature. Just follow our advice and check out these delicious home remedies to keep your #haircolour looking tiptop for weeks
Hydrate Your Hair With home Conditioning Treatments
Moisture loss and dryness are common after-effects when you colour your hair. The only way to deal with this problem is to hydrate your hair with conditioning treatments. Conditioning ingredients like banana, yogurt, olive oil, and honey have long been used as home remedies for improving hair health. Using these ingredients may help soothe frizz, repair damage, and retain moisture with its hydrating properties.
You Will Need
- A ripe banana
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp yogurt
- 1tbsp honey
- In a bowl, mash a whole ripe banana until it is completely free of lumps. To do this, add one tablespoon of olive oil and mix well.
- Add a tablespoon of yogurt and a tablespoon of honey and mix well.
- Work this mixture through your hair from the roots to the tips.
- Once your hair is totally covered, leave the hair pack on for about an hour.
- Proceed to rinse the pack out with a mild sulfate-free shampoo and cool water.
- Repeat this once a week.
Nourish Your Hair With Protein
Colouring your hair can cause protein damage to your hair. You know your hair is in desperate need of protein when it starts to stretch and snap off. It may also feel a bit mushy when it is wet. The best way to fix this is by nourishing your hair with protein enriched products.
Eggs are packed with proteins that help nourish your hair. There is also some evidence that mayonnaise helps calm frizz and smooths your hair. Treating your hair with this regularly may help repair protein damage and restore the health of your hair. Here’s a simple protein mask you can try.
You Will Need
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- In a bowl, whip a whole egg and two tablespoons of mayonnaise together until you get a smooth mixture.
- Start working the mixture into your hair. Concentrate most on the tips of your hair.
- Once all of your hair is covered, leave the egg-mayo pack on for about 45 minutes.
- Proceed to wash your hair with a mild sulfate-free shampoo and cool water.
- Repeat this one a week.
Oil Your Hair
Frequent oiling should be part of everyone’s weekly hair care routine. Whether it is applying oil to your hair before bed and washing it off in the morning, or a quick hot oil treatment, no hair care routine can be complete without oiling.
Oils help seal in nourishment and moisture in your hair. They also form a protective layer over your hair, which protects it from sun and heat damage. Follow the steps below to give yourself a hot oil treatment at home.
You Will Need
2-3 tbsp of a carrier oil of your choice (coconut, olive, or jojoba oil)
- Warm up the oil for a couple of seconds until it is slightly warm.
- Massage the warm oil into your scalp and work it down to the tips of your hair. Concentrate on the tips as these are the most damaged parts.
- Once your hair and scalp are fully covered, leave the oil in for about 30-45 minutes. Optionally, you could leave it in overnight.
- Proceed to wash the oil out with a mild sulfate-free shampoo and cool water.
- Do this 2-3 times a week.